Lemon Dill Chicken
2 lbs diced chicken breast
1/2 cup shallots, chopped
2 cups white wine
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups fat-free chicken broth, low sodium
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- Cook chicken in skillet with olive oil cooking spray and set aside.
- Coat a large saute pan with cooking spray and saute shallots until soft (not brown), moistening with wine if necessary.
- Dissolve the flour in 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Set aside.
- Add remaining wine to shallots and reduce by half. Add remaining chicken broth and reduce by half again.
- Add the flour mixture. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the sauce to the pan. Add lemon juice and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes, until thick. Stir in the dill.
Ground Beef and Vegetable Bake
6 – 3oz extra lean ground beef patties
4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
5 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Pour 1/4 of water into the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Place the patties in the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the sliced potatoes, onions, and carrots on top of the patties. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.
Hamburger Pot Pie
1 can beef broth – fat free
1 can of biscuits
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 can of mixed peas and carrots
2 peeled and diced potatoes
3 tbs. flour
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Brown beef and drain if necessary
- In an oven safe pot or dutch oven, combine peas, carrots and potatoes. DO NOT DRAIN peas and carrots. Heat to boiling.
- Combine flour and beef broth and mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture into boiling vegetables and let thicken.
- Add beef
- Put raw biscuits on top of beef and vegetables.
- Place uncovered in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden.
Chicken Breast Fillets with Red and Yellow Peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups onion sliced crosswise
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 1/3 cups coarsely chopped tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 20 kalamata olives
- Cooking spray
- 6 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut in half horizontally
Put oil and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; cook 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high. Add bell peppers; cook 10 minutes or until bell peppers are tender. Add tomato, salt, and black pepper; cook 7 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Add parsley, oregano, and olives; cook 1 minute. Pour tomato mixture into a large bowl; keep warm.
Wipe pan clean with a paper towel; heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add 4 chicken breast pieces; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
Return the chicken to pan; add the tomato mixture, and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
Steak and Pepper Tacos
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
3 ounces steak strips
1 1/2 cups sliced green and red bell peppers
1/2 cup sliced onion
2 small (6-inch) whole-grain tortillas
4 tablespoons salsa
2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
In a skillet, saute olive oil, cumin and garlic for 1 minute. Add steak strips and cook about 5 minutes. Add pepper and onion slices and cook for another 8 minutes. Place mixture in tortillas and fold. Top with salsa and sour cream.
Chipotle Beef Wrap
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 6- to 8-ounce lean steak
1 tablespoon canned chipotle in adobe, chopped
4 tablespoons fresh cilantro
2 large whole wheat tortillas
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
Lettuce and tomato
Rub olive oil in a heavy skillet. Saute steak over high heat until medium rare to medium, turning once (7 to 10 minutes). Set aside until cool; slice thinly. Stir together chipotle in adobe and mayonnaise; spread on tortillas. Add 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro to each; top with beef and lettuce and tomato. Roll up.
Spice-Rubbed Flank Steak
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
1 pound flank steak
Preheat the broiler and coat a broiler pan with cooking spray. Combine all ingredients except steak in a small bowl; rub mixture over the steak. Broil 6 to 7 minutes per side, or until cooked. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting diagonally across the grain into thin strips. Serve with a green salad.
Low Fat Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 1 medium sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 3/4 pound carrots, peeled and cut into thick chunks
- 8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 pounds boneless beef round sirloin tip, trimmed of outer fat
- 1 14.5-ounce can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (I used Muir Glen)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
Coat the inside of a 4 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place chopped onions, carrots, mushrooms and green pepper inside.
Heat a large nonstick pan coated with cooking spray on medium high. Brown the roast for three minutes per side. Carefully remove and place in slow cooker on top of vegetables.
Pour canned tomatoes over meat and drizzle Worcestershire sauce on top. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours.
Low Fat Crockpot Country Chicken
- 1 pound small white potatoes, halved
- 8 ounces baby carrots (half a 16-ounce bag)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 large ribs celery, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
Coat the inside of a 4-5 quart crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Place vegetables in base of crockpot. Sprinkle with dried herbs. Add chicken pieces, then finish with canned tomatoes and broth. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked.
If you want to thicken the juices, make a cornstarch slurry of 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to 1/4 cup of broth or water and stir in half an hour before the end.
Low Fat Asian Crockpot Chicken
- 1 large onion
- 1 red pepper
- 3 peeled carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
Prepare the Vegetables
First prepare the vegetables. Cut the onion in half, and then slice off one end. Now, peel off the outer layer. Now, by cutting vertically and then across, dice the onion.
Take the red pepper, cut it in half, and remove the seeds. Slice the pepper into thin strips, and then chop them into small pieces.
Next, cut the celery into slices, and then into small pieces.
For the carrots, cut them into thirds, and then quarter each section lengthwise.
Combine the Ingredients in the Crockpot
Now, spray the crockpot with cooking spray. Place the vegetables on the bottom.
In a separate bowl, combine the chopped ginger, crushed garlic, orange juice, and soy sauce.
Next, take the sliced chicken breasts and lay them in the crockpot on top of the vegetables. Then pour the sauce mixture over everything.
Cook the Asian Crockpot Chicken
Start cooking by placing the crockpot on high for 1 hour, then cook on low for an additional 4-6 hours.
About 30 minutes before it’s finished, mix the cornstarch and water to make a thickening solution. Add it to the pot and mix it up.
Cook for the last 30 minutes, and you’ll see this will thicken the juices. Eat the chicken by itself or on top of some brown rice.
Low Fat Crockpot Beef and Black Eyed Peas
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 3 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 8-ounce pack sliced mushrooms
- 1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3/4 pound lean stewing beef
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 cups no-salt added tomato sauce
Coat a 4 quart crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Add vegetables, followed by black-eyed peas, bay leaves, beef, Worcestershire Sauce and tomato sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours.