There are a lot of people that view aerobic exercise as not being as important to their workout program compared to their anaerobic counterpart. Bodybuilders and weightlifters have misgivings about how involved they should become doing aerobic fitness.
Everyone needs to be able to efficiently take oxygen into their lungs and blood. Exercising aerobically can help improve the body’s use of oxygen. The carbohydrates and fats to produce energy are transported to your working muscles by the cardiovascular system. Your heart-lung complex is not the only thing that benefits from aerobic training.
Contrary to popular belief the best aerobic exercise for you is not necessarily running. It is one that you will perform on a regular basis and enjoy. Using the stair climber, swimming, rowing machine and cycling, these are just a few examples of aerobic training you can benefit from.
Research has shown that for every hour you spend aerobically exercising you extend your life by two hours. That’s a pretty good return on investment.
Weightlifters and bodybuilders should incorporate aerobic exercise into their regimen, but be careful not to overdo it as too much can be counterproductive to your lifting. Try to find the right mix of duration, intensity and frequency to suit your routine.
Some benefits of aerobically exercising:
- Can burn up to one thousand calories an hour dependent upon the type and intensity
- Increases your level of available energy
- Aids in relieving depression
- Aids in preventing certain types of cancer
- Enhances self-image
- Aids in relieving stress and anxiety
- Increases your HDL (good cholesterol)
- Improves your quality of sleep
- Reduces the risk of heart disease
- Increases your mental sharpness